ALT Fuels Colorado
To improve air quality throughout the state of Colorado, the Regional Air Quality Council (RAQC) will be incentivizing the replacement and scrappage of pre-2009 vehicles with fully Electric and Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) fleet vehicles. These funds are available to all public, private, and non-profit fleets statewide within Colorado.
The resources linked below contain additional program information, and will be updated periodically to reflect any changes to the program.
Eligible Vehicles & Equipment
- Class 8 Local Freight Trucks (Heavy-Duty) Greater than 33,000 lbs
- Class 4-7 Local Freight Trucks (Medium-Duty) Between 14,001 and 33,000 lbs
- Class 4-8 School & Intra-facility Shuttle Buses, Between 14,001 and 33,000 lbs
- Railroad Freight Switchers
- Airport Ground Support Equipment
- Heavy Forklifts, greater than 8,000 pound lift capacity
- Port Cargo Handling Equipment (yard trucks)
- Additional funding may be available for associated electric vehicle charging stations (Level II & III only) if the vehicle or piece of equipment being purchased is electric. Please review the Program Guide for eligibility details. All chargers must be networked in order to report charging data to the program.
Charging infrastructure not associated with an eligible vehicle purchase is not eligible for funding through this program (Please visit the Charge Ahead Colorado page to learn about funding for stand-alone electric vehicle charging stations).
- All electric
- CNG Vehicles, fueled with 100% RNG (Renewable Natural Gas)*
The Application Checklist, Program Guide and Funding Calculator are resources to learn more about the program before applying. Applicants will be required to acknowledge they have read and understand the Program Guide at the time of application submission. The Funding Calculator can be downloaded as an Excel spreadsheet and will auto-calculate award scenarios based on inputs provided. For any additional questions, email Matt Goble, Program Coordinator.
All applications must be completed and submitted online using the link below. Applications may only be submitted during an application round. Application rounds will be held multiple times a year until all funding is fully expended. There is no budgeted funding amount per application round, funding is available on a first-come, first-serve basis until fully expended. The program has allocated $21.5 million for awards, with approximately $15 million remaining. To be notified of future application rounds and other program information, sign up for email updates below.
Between 2014 and 2018, ALT Fuels Colorado operated with funding from the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA) Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement (CMAQ) program. With this funding, the program incentivized the purchased of over 800 alternatively fueled vehicles between September 2014 and January 2019. This funding is no longer available. For a list of fleets awarded CMAQ funding, click here. In 2018 the ALT Fuels Colorado (AFC) program was allocated additional funding from a diesel emissions settlement. This funding is managed in partnership with the Colorado Department of Health and Environment, the Colorado Department of Transportation, and the Colorado Energy Office. For a list of fleets awarded settlement funding through the ALT Fuels Colorado program, click here. For a list of projects awarded settlement funding from programs other than ALT Fuels Colorado, please click here.
To receive email updates about the ALT Fuels Colorado program, click the button below
If you have additional questions about the program, please contact the Program Coordinator, Matt Goble